Changing how we can heat the city
Emissions that cause air pollution and the release of greenhouse gases do not just come from vehicle traffic. Buildings and corporate offices in the City of London contribute significantly to air pollution via harmful emissions from diesel generators used for heating and emergency power.
The biodiesel produced by FutureFuel Renewables has undergone an 18-month testing process through our “BioCabby” scheme with a 10-year-old London Black Taxi. At the Department for Transport’s testing stations, it demonstrated an almost 50% reduction in emissions compared to petroleum diesel.
Heating generators can also be powered using biodiesel without modification, a change which would virtually eradicate the harmful particulate pollution released into the air as well as reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Shocking Facts about air pollution
· Air pollution is one of the UK’s biggest killers, causing up to 36,000 premature deaths a year.
· Breathing in air pollution can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke, worsens asthma symptoms and can cause lung cancer.
· In the 1970s the UK was known as the Dirty Man of Europe. Pollution from coal-fired power stations caused acid rain BUT EU action put an end to this.
· Air pollution is still bad now, however, claiming more than 9,000 early deaths per annum in London.
· Air pollution costs the UK £20 billion per year in costs to our health service and reduction in productivity due to ill-health.
· The global cost of air pollution is $225 billion per year, according to the World Bank.
· The World Health Organisation declared outdoor air pollution, including particulate matter and also diesel exhaust, carcinogenic to humans, in the strongest class (Group 1). That's the same class as tobacco.
Committee on the Medical Effects of Air Pollutants